Thursday, September 20, 2012

Holy Pinwheels, Batman!

Hi everyone:

Do you make baby quilts? I know some of my friends love to make baby quilts, but I haven't had a reason to make one - until now. Yes, finally a baby quilt for a new baby! One of my quilty friends is a new grandma, so this means that I get to make one of these sweet, cuddly blankets for the new arrival. 

Most quilters make baby quilts in pastel colours with sweet animals and butterflies - well, you get the picture. So what colours am I using in my fabrics? Well, they aren't pastel, I'll tell you that! Red, yellow, blue and black are the main colours in this project. Now I know what you're thinking - it's for a boy, right? Wrong! This is a quilt for a little girl, but since mom loves everything Batman, I thought it would be appropriate to make the baby quilt in Batman fabric. So, here are the fabrics I'm using:

Batman fabrics with coordinates
I'm doing a pinwheel block with a plain alternate block and adding a few borders. Just keeping it simple, cause the fabric is busy enough. I'm liking how it's looking and I know one thing for sure: this will be the only Batman quilt that baby Fiona receives! 
Here are the half-square triangles waiting to be squared up
This is what the HST's will grow up to be :)

Now off to complete the blocks, add some borders and get it quilted. I want to get this done before she's old enough to say, "Holy pinwheels, Batman!"



How many baby quilts have you made?  What's your favourite type of pattern and fabric to use?


2 comments:

free indeed said...

I've made a kazillion baby quilts! It started out with my thinking that making something myself is thrifty and it sort of is if you doin't include the TIME! So, when all my friends were having babies, and their children were having babies and now my children are having babies it just added up to lots of quilts. I tend to stay away from pastels too..babies just aren't interested in them and parents aren't either. :) I think your batmat theme will make a great quilts! I don't think I've ever made the same pattern twice with my quilts. I'm always on the lookout for something different.

Chatterbox Quilts said...

Yup, they do take some time to make, depending on how fancy you get. Since they're a smaller size they can be a good way to try out a new technique or block. If you like it you can make it again; if not, well it is going to someone else, isn't it? :)