Monday, June 3, 2013

Quilts - Rain or Shine

Hi everyone:

Not even the deluge of rain that Calgary recently experienced could dampen the enthusiasm of quilters for a quilt show. The Heritage Park Festival of Quilts was a little wetter than usual, but the sun did eventually come out for a beautiful Sunday so that quilts could be hung outside for all to enjoy.
Some of the quilts on the Wainwright Hotel balcony
Heritage Park is a 1910 prairie railway town in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. When you enter Heritage Park, you take a step back in time and can imagine what life would've been like in the early 1900's. I can't imagine a more appropriate venue for the Festival of Quilts, which is held annually on the last week-end in May. This year there were over 800 quilts on display. 

I was helping out at the Quilter's Connection magazine booth for the week-end, but did manage to sneak in some quilt viewing and shopping (just a bit). 
Heather McArthur of Quilter's Connection magazine
On Saturday I was able to chat with the Prairie Quilt Mercantile gals, Devon and Sharon. They've just released their first book, Fresh from the Prairies, and I was fortunate enough to snag a copy. I love the quilts in this book - so traditional, yet fresh. I'll have a review of their book in a future blogpost.
Sharon Smith and Devon Lavigne from Prairie Quilt Mercantile
As the weather wasn't very cooperative on Saturday and very few quilts were hung outside, I saved most of my quilt viewing until Sunday. My buddy, Lee of Lala's Lovelys accompanied me as we enjoyed the quilts and the sun. Here are a few of my favourite quilts.

Curling Fun by Naoko Miyazaki, Calgary
Lee's quilt, 430 Days, her version of Bonnie Hunter's Orca Bay

Spider Web by Vanecea Greene, Calgary

Kitty Among the Flowers by Lori Slack, James River Bridge
Based on a Laundry Basket Quilts pattern, Location, Location, Location

Tree of Life by Doreen Ryning, Calgary
Quilted by Chris Tessier

Mumbo Gumbo by Marie McEachern, Calgary
A Pie in the Sky pattern
Pineapple Party by Nancy Basserman
Inspired by the book, "Pineapple Quilt" by Loretta Smith
Santa's Backup Crew by Gail Banks
Grand Canyon Splendour by Thelma Lucille Traub, Calgary



5 comments:

Lee D said...

ah thanks for featuring my quilt as one of your favourites. And the rain continues!

Peggy said...

Great to see more of the show! Thanks for sharing! I was able to take in a class with Sharon and Devon a couple of years ago, and love their quilts! Got a pattern then that I haven't done yet, now inspired to get going!

Chatterbox Quilts said...

Thanks for the comments, Lee and Peg (and you're welcome, Lee). Will be looking forward to that finished quilt by Prairie Quilt Mercantile, Peg :)

Crazy Creek Creations said...

Kim - Glad to see you liked "Pineapple Party". It was a fun quilt to make. I'm not sure what it says about me - but I absolutely love playing with scraps.

Kim Hanson said...

Kim - really nice blog post! Thanks so much for sharing quilt photos. Since I didn't make it to Heritage Park, it's nice to be able to see some of the fabulous work.