Monday, January 6, 2014

Quilt Gifts for Christmas 2013

Hi everyone:

It's another cold winter day in Calgary today - I'm beginning to think that we're entering another ice age! What better to do when it's too cold to go outside but to blog about quilting?

Zoolights at the Calgary Zoo
I was busy making several quilty Christmas gifts this year and since the day has now passed I can share these with you. I got a late start on making these, but managed to get them all done on time and mailed out. It's amazing what you can do with a tight deadline - and that seems to be the only way I actually get projects finished!
Christmas table runner made for my parents. 
I made a table runner for my Mom and Dad and have one for myself in similar, but slightly different, fabrics. I still have to quilt this one, but why rush it since I won't need to use it until next Christmas. 
I used the Peace and Joy table runner pattern from Linda Lum DeBono's book, Sew Merry and Bright, (I added different appliqués to it) and a bundle of fat quarters from Connecting Threads that I had in my stash (didn't even need to buy new fabric - yay!).
Table runner detail
The snowflake and reindeer appliqués are cut from AccuQuilt GO! dies and I edged them with a narrow zigzag stitch and used gold metallic thread. I used different quilting motifs in the various fabrics and was pleased with the end result. This project took me a few days, mostly due to the intense quilting on it.
Quilting detail
Table runner back showing quilting detail
Look at those snowballs!
I made a wall hanging for my brother and his girlfriend for their new cottage. This panel and fabric were in my stash too - another yay! 
Wall hanging for my brother
This project did go together quickly and the quilting wasn't as intense on this one, so it was completed in a couple of days. 
Wall hanging detail showing quilting
I made a few more Christmas gifts for close girlfriends. They were a big hit. 
Something to keep you warm at night
Merry Christmas, girls!

I don't think any words are needed for these - a picture is worth a thousand words!

Have you ever made any "controversial" gifts as Christmas presents? I'd love to hear your stories.

No comments: