Monday, January 17, 2011

Book Review - Bloom Creek Quilts

Hi everyone:


Well, it's 2011 and I haven't yet done a book review. I have lots of great books to tell you about, so let's start with...


Bloom Creek Quilts by Vicki Bellino. I've noticed patterns by Vicki while surfing through the patterns available at Connecting Threads, so I was delighted when Martingale & Company published this book. I like Vicki's style and her fabric choices - I guess they're "my" colours. 


Birdhouse Welcome
This book includes 14 patterns for projects of all sizes, from table runners to bed quilts. There are even patterns for a tote bag and pillow, so it will appeal to all quilters. Techniques include both piecing and appliqué, again appealing to a wide audience. 


These quilts are fresh and fun and I enjoyed the touches of appliqué that are on some of the projects. While a few of the projects may appear more challenging, the techniques are really quite simple so even a new quilter with only a few quilts under her belt would be able to make these. 


A Pack of Posies
I have several favourites from this book and have already selected fabrics and partially completed the Birdhouse Welcome wall hanging, which will be perfect at our entryway. I also enjoyed A Pack of Posies table runner, with its effective use of half-square triangles and limited amount of fabric. 


While I enjoyed all the projects in the book, I would have to say that my favourite is Home for the Holidays, with its cardinals sitting on a primitive pine tree. Yes, I'm a sucker for Christmas quilts, but this one is really an eye-catcher. Again, simple shapes and techniques, but the effect is wow! 


If you enjoy a little bit of appliqué with your pieced quilts and a variety of projects, you'll enjoy this book.


4 comments:

free indeed said...

I'll be saving this book in my shopping cart for a future purchase...looks like many projects to add personality to my home. Thanks for the review!

Sylvia said...

I just bought this book and I love it especially the two birdhouse projects! I can't wait to make them.

Chatterbox Quilts said...

This is definitely a good addition to your quilting book library and I love the little birdhouse projects too!

SewCalGal said...

Great review. Sounds like a wonderful book.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com