Thursday, July 7, 2011

WIWOW July 6, 2011



Hi everyone:


Okay, you caught me. I'm actually posting this on Thursday as I was so wrapped up in printing out patterns yesterday to send off to my wholesale distributor, The Pattern Peddlers. I was up late last night to finish them all and wrap up the parcel so I could drop it at the post office this morning. Another thing off my list - check!



I have several more items to complete this week, but I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I've been very busy with deadlines these past few weeks and it will be nice when I've actually met them and can then enjoy some of the summer sunshine.

As you know, I have been working with my AccuQuilt GO! cutter these past few months and am still amazed as how many ideas I have for the dies, especially the appliqué ones. I really thought that it would be limiting to use these since they are typically in only one size. I'm delighted to discover that I was wrong. The ideas continue to flow. 

Since I am partial to fusible web appliqué, the GO! dies are perfect for my projects. I just fuse the fusible web to the back of my chosen fabric, pick a die, whip it though and voilà - all ready to become part of a new project. Of course then I have to finish the edges, which takes me a bit longer than the fun cutting and fusing part. In order to hasten the completion of my projects (I'm an impatient gal!), I tend to use a narrow zigzag stitch to finish my appliqué pieces. Most of my projects are wall hangings, so this stitch is sufficient to hold the pieces in place. Below is an example of the look of this type of finish.
Narrow zigzag stitch to finish appliqué pieces
I find this stitch is not as time (and thread) consuming as a satin stitch, however it is not as permanent either. The satin stitch is more elegant in appearance, definitely more visible and is better at holding the appliqués down wash after wash. While I have matched my thread to the appliqué pieces in this project, I sometimes use a contrasting thread for a more fun and relaxed look or to tie various appliqué shapes together.
I used a contrasting thread on the
dog appliqués in Posh Pets
Again, contrasting thread was used on the cat appliqués
to achieve a uniform look to all the appliqués
For more information on appliquéing, I rely on these must-have-in-your-library reference books:

Machine Appliqué for the Terrified Quilter by Sharon PedersonAppliqué: the basics and beyond by Janet Pittman
Mastering Machine Appliqué by Harriet Hargrave (I purchased this when I first started quilting and didn't even know what appliqué really was and am I ever glad I did!)
The Ultimate Appliqué Guidebook by Annie Smith (I just received this book yesterday and it is wonderful and very readable)

as well as I-go-to-these-all-the-time blogs and websites:

Holly Mabutas of Eat Cake Graphics (Cute patterns, great stamps and a wonderful hand appliqué technique)
Kay Mackenzie's blog, All About Appliqué (Kay has wonderful information about appliqué techniques on her blog and in all of her books) 

Obviously, there are many more reference books and websites than I have listed and I find my local library has a good collection for me to browse. 

I'd love to hear about your preferred appliqué technique and what resources you use for reference and learning. 











1 comment:

SewCalGal said...

Congratulations on sending your patterns off. Great post. Appreciate the recommendations on books too.....as I do love good quilty books, full of tips.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com