Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Book Review - Fast, Fusible Flower Quilts

Hi everyone:

Happy August 1! It's hard to believe that summer is halfway done already. We have such a short summer in Alberta: it really doesn't start until July (it's always rainy in June) and sometimes ends as early as September with the first snowfall (usually not much, but it is snow!). I've been enjoying the warm days these past few weeks and the flowers that are (finally) blooming around our deck. I'm not much of a gardener, preferring the container/pot type of garden, but do love the wonderful colours of the flowers. For the next few days I'm reviewing books that have patterns to bring those gorgeous florals inside and into our quilts.

The first book is Fast, Fusible Flower Quilts by Nancy Mahoney. You know me, I'm all about the fast and fusible is my favourite appliqué technique, so I was excited to check out this book.
Photo courtesy of Martingale
Nancy has provided us with 11 quilt patterns which range from large wall hangings to throws or smaller bed quilts. Most of these designs feature pieced or patchwork block backgrounds with floral appliqués on top. The backgrounds are simple which allow the appliqués to shine, without distracting from or competing with them. The patterns are easy enough for beginner quilters and more experienced quilters would find them quick projects. They all could be done in a variety of fabrics from '30s prints to bright batiks. 
Night Blooms from Fast, Fusible Flower Quilts by Nancy Mahoney
Photo courtesy of Martingale
While I expected these projects to all be fusible web appliqué, Nancy provides information in the book for other appliqué techniques as well, such as using spray starch and plastic templates. You can decide which technique you will use when making these quilts.
Orange Marmelade from Fast, Fusible Flower Quilts by Nancy Mahoney
Photo courtesy of Martingale
These designs are not complicated, yet the addition of appliqué to the pieced background gives the illusion of a complex quilt. Being easy to make with complex results is always good in my books! I also like the fact that Nancy provides quilting suggestions for each quilt. This is helpful information for both beginner and experienced quilters. While I can decide on my own quilting motifs, I really appreciate knowing what the pattern designer used on the sample quilts (for those days when I really can't decide on which quilting motif to use).
Precious Peonies from Fast, Fusible Flower Quilts by Nancy Mahoney
Photo courtesy of Martingale
These are happy, simple projects that could be completed in a few days. I could see making a wall hanging from these designs with a table runner for your dining table too. They'd also be wonderful for summer quilts in your bedroom or guest room, bringing some of those wonderful florals into your home.
I'll be looking at more flowery quilt books in a few days, so check back with me then.

No comments: