Thursday, August 30, 2012

Summer Vacation


Hi everyone:

Almost the end of August and that means that summer is nearly over, but we're still enjoying some sunny, warm days here in Calgary - even though the nights are definitely getting cooler and that sun is sinking earlier every day. With the end of summer comes the beginning of school and today was my first day back at work in the school office. I'm glad that I had a few weeks off to gear up for this hectic time of year! 

My family and I just got back from a two week trip in Portland and Seattle and we had a wonderful time. 

At Esther's Fabrics on Bainbridge Island
While I didn't visit many quilt shops, I did manage to attend the Association of Pacific West Quilters show in Tacoma this past week-end, where I tore through the vendors' mall and more than made up for not spending much before then! I also managed to view the wonderful quilts that were on display. Unfortunately, due to copyright regulations, I'm not able to post them on-line, but can assure you that they were exceptional. I was glad to see several entries from Canadian quilters, including Daphne Greig and Susan Purney Mark. I was thrilled to see Sonja Callaghan's "Halloween Quilt of Awesomeness" included in the show and loved the quilting done by Krista Withers of Modern Longarm Quilting. I have Sonja's patterns that she used in this quilt and really must do these up for Halloween.

I told you that I spent a bit of cash on quilty things while at the quilt show, and also at a few shops before that, so here's an idea of what found its way into my suitcase.
A few quilting treasures found at Powell's Books in Portland, OR
Tour of Martingale resulted in purchasing a few of their titles
Rick-rack, trim, buttons, beads and vintage linens
from Knittn' Kitten in Portland, OR
Fabrics from Esther's Fabrics on Bainbridge Island

A sampling of batiks from Sew Batik at the vendors' mall
Incomparable Buttons from The Steam Trunk Craft Works
at the vendors' mall (again)
Japanese fabric, linen, beads and sashiko thread from Shibori Dragon
 at the vendors' mall (one more time)

Needle felting kits from Esther's Fabrics on Bainbridge Island
(I'll bet you thought I bought these at the vendors' mall, didn't you?)
I also managed to find some vintage fabrics and linens while on the trip and will post these next time. I can't seem to resist buying vintage linens, napkins and doilies, although I never seem to know exactly what to do with them. The designs and hand work in them just appeals to me, I guess. I was interested to see several projects in Esther's Fabrics using these vintage textiles and will show you these in my next post. 

Now I'm off to put my purchases away - if I can find room, that is :)

No comments: