Friday, August 31, 2012

Do you do vintage?

Hi everyone:

Kitty hanky purchased at an antique shop on
Bainbridge Island - just because it was cute!
In my previous post I mentioned that I had purchased some vintage linens while on my recent vacation. I find these very appealing: each one is different and I wonder about their previous lives before they came into my possession. 
Vintage linens from antique shop on Bainbridge Island
Vintage linen detail
While I do enjoy the look of these textiles, I'm not quite sure what to do with them - once I've finished admiring them, that is. I was pleased to see these linens used in various projects while shopping at Esther's Fabrics on Bainbridge Island. They were kind enough to allow me to photograph the shop projects so I could share them on my blog.
Projects using vintage linens at Esther's Fabrics
As you can see, they've used various linens in a pillow and also used hand embroidered linens in a pincushion. 

Pillow created from vintage linens at Esther's Fabrics
Pincushions created from vintage linens at Esther's Fabrics

They also covered small notebooks with vintage hankies. 
Vintage covered notebook from Esther's Fabrics
They had several vintage napkins and tablerunners for sale in the shop - and I couldn't resist. Now I just need to decide which project I'll make with them!
Vintage tablerunner from Esther's Fabrics
Detail of vintage linen from Esther's Fabrics

There were also many other wonderful projects on display at Esther's Fabrics and I really enjoyed the combination of stitching and quilting in them. Here are a few that I noticed while in the shop.




Do you do vintage linens too? If you do, I'd love to hear how you use the in your quilting or sewing projects.

2 comments:

Monika Kinner-Whalen (MySweetPrairie) said...

Oh my goodness! I ADORE vintage. I don't know what to do with them though. I think that pretty hanky with red petals might be under glass or properly used & loved. my mother puts them on her tables and under glass. Sweet sweet, aren't you lucky!
: )
Monika

Chatterbox Quilts said...

I think it's a sickness, Monika. I love to collect vintage linens and then also wonder what to do with them. I have a few ideas now and really need to start creating items with these so they can be displayed and enjoyed.